The first day of a new school year

As most of you know, today is the day after Labor Day. The day that for most kids, a new school year starts. The day where kids fresh out of preschool join the grade school crowd. For most places, kids ages 5 to 18. Elementary school usually grades Kindergarten to 5, then middle school from 6 through 8, then finishing off with high school at grades 9 through 12.


As for upcoming kindergarten students, parents around neighborhoods crying in awe as their child takes their first steps from little kid to regular kid. Cameras and videos are taken the moment the kids step foot from the house door. And for those that get driven, parents holding the child's hand all the way till he/she sets foot in the classroom door where the teacher takes over.

I remember when I was first starting elementary school. The year was 1998, and I was only 5 years old. But me skipping preschool, I didn't know what to expect out of a public school setting. It was a very new experience for me. I remember walking to the from entrance as I got off of my school bus. It was as if a door with light illuminating so bright that it could blind all who look through it. As I took a deep breath, my nerves made my skin feel like crocodile skin. My heart was racing, and then, I walked in.

When I took my first deep breath, I noticed a new scent, a scent that was far different from my house or anywhere if that. I immediately knew that this was a scent that I would have to get use to for the next 6 years of my life. Then after finally finding my way to my classroom, I looked around seeing new faces, and seeing one face in particular. The face that I would be paying most attention to for the rest of the school year. My teacher.

I also remember the kinds of activities we would partake in: Recess, Lego, pin the date on the calendar, show and tell, and my "now" favorite, nap time. Unfortunately, at that age I wanted to stay awake and play rather than nap. We also did hand painting (putting your hand onto paint, and then onto paper), random collages and lots more.

Now that I look back at it. I sometimes wish I could take a time machine and go back in time to those times, where my life revolved around just having fun and making messes that other older people would have to clean because I was just a kid. I know that sounds bad but I'm sure we've all had those thoughts.

Kindergarten was fun, but now on to the next chapter of life, adulthood.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Outcast

Be A Legend

The Non-Believer