Be A Legend



In the song above titled The Believer, singer John Legend and rapper Common speak about how they plan to grow to be legends and kings in what they do (Sing and rap). They mean kings hypothetically of course. They speak in a double entendre. I said before they want to be kings but not Kings as in king of England they mean that they want to be looked up to by everyone else due to the powerful words that they speak. And thus, the moral of this post: Live to be a legend.

Many people tend to live their lives at a limit. For example many people take a job but do not try their hardest to be the best at it to the point where other people look up to them. And personally, I feel as if the reason why many people do not do this is because they are afraid of the conflicts they will attract throughout the process. Many people do not want to fight against the opposition. They would rather limit themselves so they don't have to face it at all. Another example being a personal one: “I have a YouTube channel and it's doing fairly well but once I get a lot higher in subscribers and views I’ll start receiving hate by people who do not agree with what I say, regardless of what my topic is. But when I get to the top, the people who did not agree with me will start looking up to me.” When that sort of thing I mentioned in the example happens, you know you're becoming a legend. But even at the top you will still have some opposition. But your only job is to ignore it, keep your position, and strive to be the best.

Relating back to the song, you have to believe that you're going to get there, otherwise there's no point in trying. Think about it, why have the dream of being the best in what you do only to find that you don't believe in yourself that you can do it? Why bother waste your time not believing in what you think is the best possible outcome in what you do?

For me, I want to be a legendary graphic design artist. I want to work all the way at the top. So high up, that instead of me working under people, people work under me. Sure my work may not be like that of a fellow blogger Khadijah, but I plan to get to the point where I am better even than that. To the point where people see my work in their magazines and I am being paid to do what I love doing. Her work isnt in a magazine as far as I know, but I plan to be the first.

The question of this post is what do you want to be a legend at? 

Comments

  1. You have a lot of threads going in this discussion: leaders (kings), why some people don't attempt greatness, a link to another student's blog, etc. All of these ideas are great. Now fine-tune the post to highlight leaders all the way. What is it, for example, about Khadijah's work that is not like your own? What work have you done in graphic arts in addition to your YouTube channel?

    And what if someone doesn't desire to be a legend but to be better than they ever imagined they could be? For example: I have had multiple knee surgeries and have had reconstructive repair of a shattered kneecap. I also love to run. I know I'll never be a legend at running, but I continue to try to beat my best time. Maybe the issue is how we define "legend"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this was a great piece. It was very inspiring and thought provoking. I like how you related the message of song to our everyday lives and even provided up with the song if we'd never heard it before. It's always great to see a person strive to be the best they can be, but not everyone has the drive. What if every single aspiring graphic designer was trying to be at the top? Truth be told, not everyone can have that spot. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but everyone can't be a "legend". For the people who work hard trying to be the best they can be in whatever they do and don't make it to that top spot, it's just going to make them work harder or they will settle with second place. Sometimes we have to choice our battles. I think people should set high goals for themselves, but I think as long as you're doing the best you know you can do, why care if you end up a "legend" or not? It's like a person is striving to be the best they can be for recognition, but it should just be for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this post! I find it so encouraging and reassuring. I can relate to this because there’s been so many times when I have felt like I cannot accomplish my goals. Through those times I learned to believe in them even if they (my goals) seem unattainable. I like how you used this song to recount to your blog. I think that explaining the song in your writing and your interpretation of it was a great idea. In my opinion this was such an inspiring blog because it made me reflect on my set goals, and whether I’m achieving them or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a fantastic Job on this post. I totally agree with you when you say we should strive to be at the top. Personally, I am scared to go out and pursue what I want to do. Change is what also scares people. I have been working at a sales associate at the mall for a year and a half now and I'm scared to branch out. My dream is to be a top nurse in a hospital in D.C. You are right, everyone should strive to be the best. I need to put my big girl shoes on and take it head on. Thank you for the inspirational post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such an inspirational post. I agree with what you said about the opposition. Me being the un-confrontational person that I am, I tend to shy away from certain situations. Maybe this is what's holding me back? Success is all about your mental stability. You have to believe, in order to achieve something. Otherwise you have no motivation to achieve whatever it is that you want. So I completely agree that one has to believe in him/her self in order to accomplish goals.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Outcast

The Non-Believer