One Life to Live

You only have one life to live, so make the most of everyday. Make the most of everyday, because you never know what will happen to you tomorrow.

A man named Les Brown (Yes, I've quoted him many times but hey, he's amazing) said that when people were told that they were going to die in a few months, they finally decided to truly live. Now I'm not saying they weren't "alive" before, I'm saying that before they were told about dying in lets say 3 months, they were the most
miserable people on Earth. They were always grumpy, and never happy. But after the talk about near death, they finally stood up, and lived their "last days" like they always wanted to; happy as can be. They did things that they wanted to do but would have never planned on doing. For example, if they had that woman at work they liked but never felt good enough to talk to, they finally would talk to her. If they wanted to go sky diving but were always to scared and ashamed to, they went skydiving.

The odd thing about this whole thing and what is keeping me on this subject is the question of "Why is it that people finally decide to live once they are told that they are about to die? Why don't people just live life daily regardless of whether or not someone told you that you would be dead in 6 months or 5? Those are some of the questions that intrigue me.

The following quote is a simple one sentence summary of the above paragraph:

Once you learn how to die, you learn how to live.

In my opinion, I think that the reason why this is true is because people want to satisfy all of their wants and needs at the last minute. If they think that they only have a minute left, they will do all that they can in that minute to finally die thinking "I accomplished my life".

The question for this post is, "What does the quote Once you learn how to die, you learn how to live mean to you? Answer it in the comments section below.

Inspirational quote of the day: "Stop living thinkin about what you don't got, start living for you do got" - T.I. (Clifford Harris)


Works Cited

Albom, Mitch. Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man, and the Life's Greatest Lesson. New York, NY: Doubleday, 1997. Print.
"Les Brown Motivation- You and Your Volcano (part 1 of 2)." YouTube. YouTube, 13 Dec. 2012. Web. 13 Feb. 2013.
"Stock Photo - Live Your Life - Spiritual Reminder - Handwriting on a Blue Sticky Note against Canvas." 123RF Stock Photos. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Feb. 2013.
"T.I. - Live Your Life [feat. Rihanna] (Video)." YouTube. YouTube, n.d. Web. 13 Feb. 2013.

Comments

  1. Very interesting post! I just read about this phenomenon happening to an actor, Wilco Jones, who was in The Game of Thrones who was just diagnosed with cancer. He didn't want chemotherapy and so he decided to just live his last few months on stage (he's also in a band). Wow--he even describes this feeling where every day was just more bright.

    This gives me hope for my mom. But I wonder: do you have to have some sort of personality tic to have this happen? Some people who find out they're dying slip into depression, alcoholism, and have other, even more horrible experiences. (Here's the article from the LA Times: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/gossip/la-et-mg-game-of-thrones-wilko-johnson-cancer-diagnosis-20130125,0,7548301.story)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this, I agree with what you mean and sometimes I wish I lived this way more often. Personally I don't really know what stops people from truly living, maybe it's because of past experiences? Also you have to consider that some people might take this too serious and do something too rash or radical. You said your opinion was that if people realized how it felt to die, they would really learn how to live, but I feel as if some people are never satisfied. I personally always want something new to finish or accomplish, I guess it keeps my mind busy. Anyway I loved the topic. A hyperlink on Les Brown would have been great, otherwise great job.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Outcast

Be A Legend

The Non-Believer